1. Make packing for storage easier on yourself by planning ahead. Start by listing all items you are going to store, and their approximate sizes. Also gather up plenty of sturdy corrugated cartons, packing paper, bubble wrap, sealing tape and marker pens, along with any furniture covers or shelving you intend to use in your storage unit.
2. Pack as much as you can in uniform-size boxes. Fill them tightly, but take care to neither overpack nor underpack. (Bulging cartons tip when stacked, while half-full boxes tend to collapse.) Use wadded up newsprint, bubble wrap, rags, towels or blankets to fill in empty spaces. For maximum protection, seal cartons with tape.
3. Pack heavy items, such as books and tools, in small boxes. For easier handling, limit the weight of all cartons (regardless of size), to 30 lbs. or less.
4. Label all cartons so you know their contents and keep a list (as well as pictures and descriptions) at your home or office for reference. Mark clearly all boxes containing fragile items.
5. Clean and dry appliances thoroughly before storing. Secure all movable parts with paper or wedge and wrap a paper pad around each item for protection. During transport, tape all doors shut; but remember to wedge them open for storage.
6. Tape or tie bed rails together. Mark the pieces for easier assembly later. Place covers or plastic bags on mattresses to keep them clean during storage.
7. Pack books flat to protect their spines. Line cartons with plastic and fill empty spaces with packing paper.
8. Use bureau drawers to store small, fragile items. Clothing and towels make excellent packing material.
37 Hockanum Blvd
Located in Vernon just off of Talcottville Road (Rte 83), less than 1 mile from route I-84.
73 West Street
Located in Vernon with easy access to I-84. This is the main office. This location offers Penske Truck Rentals.
176 Windsorville Ave
Conveniently located at the Ellington five-corners, just off of Rte 74 within minutes of the South Windsor line.
25 Kingsbury Ave
Located in between Tolland and Rockville on the Hartford Turnpike (Route 30).
Within 1/2 mile of I-84 just east of Rockville center.
9. Protect chair legs by wrapping them in packing paper. Leave slipcovers on upholstered chairs and cover them with plastic chair covers.
10. Hang clothing and draperies in wardrobe boxes. Add moth balls or cedar chips for extra protection.
11. Use lots of paper to pack dishes and glassware. Place a layer of packing paper inside the bottom and top of cartons. Wrap each dish and glass separately and cushion them with crumpled paper. Plates are best stacked on edge.
12. Pack lamps and lamp shades in individual boxes, using plenty of clean paper or clothing for padding.
13. Pad mirrors and paintings with paper and place them in special mirror packs or large boxes. Mark boxes "Fragile". Never store mirrors or paintings flat. Always place them on edge.
14. Remove the legs from larger tables to conserve storage space. Tie and pad extra leaves together. Store table tops on edge and pad with paper or blankets.
15. Wipe the surfaces of tools, bikes, and other metal objects with machine oil to prevent rusting.
16. Save money by renting the smallest amount of space you need and packing the unit full. Cover the floor with a plastic tarp before moving in your belongings. Use pallets or shelving as a foundation for cartons and furniture, as well as shelving wherever possible.
17. Stack boxes shoulder-high to maximize your total locker space.
18. Do not place book boxes directly on the floor.
19. Place items you use frequently (or may need to use soon) near the storage room door.
20. Store lightweight small items around the back of the locker. Move large, heavy items into storage last. Remember to leave a walkway too so you can get the rear of the unit.
21. Pack stereos, cameras and other high value items in unmarked boxes toward the rear of the storage space.
22. Stand sofas and mattresses on end and protect them with specially designed covers. Don't place heavy or sharp objects on top of upholstered furniture.
23. Leave a few inches of space between your items and the wall for better ventilation. Do not lean anything against the wall.
24. Cover the entire load with a light plastic cover.
25. Use a good quality lock on your locker door. Inexpensive locks rust. Insure your goods while in storage. Ask the manager about self storage insurance at reasonable rates.
Need A Truck?
We offer Penske Truck Rentals at our Vernon Rockville location!
Need Packaging Materials?
We have them!
Click here to learn more.
Reserve Your Storage Unit Today!
Choose your location below to reserve your storage units online - it's easy!